Melatonin is a hormone that is secreted by a part of the brain called the pineal gland and it can be synthesized from the amino acid L-tryptophan. The production of melatonin is influenced by a part of the brain known as the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus receives information from the retina of the eye about the daily patterns of light and dark. This pattern helps to establish a circadian rhythm that sets a person’s sleep/wake cycle. As darkness approaches, melatonin levels will begin to increase and prepare the body for sleep. With the approach of dawn, melatonin levels will drop giving rise to serotonin and a state of wakefulness.
Melatonin as a lozenge works quickly to prepare the body for sleep since it is readily absorbed through the mucus membrane that is located under the tongue. This direct absorption skips the ‘first pass effect’ of supplement metabolism by diffusing directly into the blood stream allowing the melatonin to bypass the GI tract where it can be degraded. Melatonin lozenge is a more direct, often faster supplement that may help support a normal sleep cycle, help fight jet-lag and in higher amounts, provide antioxidant support.*
• Convenient lozenge form
• Delicious cherry flavor
• Rapid disintegration, fast acting
• Gluten Free
• Melatonin, a hormone secreted by the pineal gland of the brain, helps regulate the “Wake/Sleep” cycle. Melatonin levels increase in the dark, preparing the body for sleep. Aging often leads to decreases in melatonin secretion which makes supplementation
• Melatonin is also a powerful antioxidant helping to neutralize several different types of free radicals such as the damaging hydroxyl radical, hydrogen peroxide, singlet oxygen and peroxynitrite.*
• Melatonin helps support normal, healthy neurological and cardiovascular function.*
• A lozenge offers a more direct form of supplementation that is not subject to the degradation that affects most oral supplements as they pass through the GI tract.*
• It also plays a role in supporting normal, healthy immune function.*
. NOTE WARNING on label: Use only at bedtime. Not for use by children under 18 years. If pregnant or using a prescription drug, consult a health care professional. Do no take this product if you suffer from an autoimmune disease, depression, diabetes, endocrine disorder or thyroid condition. Do not use this product while operating a motorized vehicle or heavy machinery.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to
diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.